The objective of the Guyana Improving Teacher Education Project (GITEP) is to improve the learning achievement of Guyana’s school children by improving the effectiveness and efficiency in the delivery of teacher education. This objective is consistent with the Government of Guyana’s Education Strategic Plan 2008-2013, which aims to raise the standard of living in Guyana through improving education in its overall effectiveness. The total project cost is US$5.12 million with US$4.2 million loan from the World Bank and the rest from the Government of Guyana, the Common Wealth of Learning and local sources.
- Lecturers and administrators at Cyril Potter College of Education (CPCE) and University of Guyana (UG)’s School of Education & Humanities (SEH)
- Students enrolled in the new Associate’s Degree in Education (ADE) and Bachelor’s Degree in Education (B.Ed.) programs
- Teachers and school children
Improving the Quality and Efficiency of Teacher Education Delivery (US$2.65 million)
- Subcomponent 1A - Developing new courses and terms of reference for administrator, lecturer and tutor positions at CPCE and UG’s SEH, and evaluating current staff to bring them in line with the requirements and standards of delivering the new ADE and B.Ed. programs.
- Subcomponent 1B - Improving the teaching practicum for the ADE and B.Ed. programs, and designing and implementing an induction year for all ADE graduates.
- Subcomponent 1C - Integrating ICT in the teaching and learning process, and supporting transition to a dual mode delivery of the initial teacher training programs.
Building Human Resources and Capacity for More Effective Teaching and Learning. (US$1.93 million)
- Subcomponent 2A - Strengthening the management of CPCE and UG.
- Subcomponent 2B - Strengthening the teacher educators at CPCE and UG.
- Subcomponent 2C - Improving the main library, satellite, and Learning Resource Centers to support research, independent learning and the professional development of teacher educators, student teachers and teachers.
Communication, Project Management, and Monitoring and Evaluation (US$0.54 million)
- Subcomponent 3A - designing and delivering a communications campaign to inform stakeholders of potential benefits and changes in policy and teacher education programs.
- Subcomponent 3B - managing and overseeing project implementation, and monitoring and evaluating its objectives and outcomes.