Ministry of Education (MoE): School Health, Nutrition and HIV&AIDS Coordination Unit (SHN/HIV)
- Give administrative support to the MoE.
- Develop SHN/HIV strategies.
- Communicate SHN/HIV policy and strategic plan.
- Advise the Ministry of Education about SHN/HIV.
- Develop partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Promote advocacy concerning SHN national and regionally.
- Co-ordinate training in SHN/HIV at the national and regional levels.
- Assist with implementing SHN/HIV activities at regional levels.
Regional Coordination and Accountability
A. Education Departments:
- identify Regional Programme Coordinators (RPC) to assist in strategic planning and regional implementation.
B. Regional Programme Coordinators (RPC)
- Ensure that the Policy and Strategic Plan are reflected in the relevant work plans.
- Coordinate the Education Department's implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Communicate the Policy and Plan to education sector employees and other education stakeholders regionally.
- Provide the SHN/HIV Unit with data concerning SHN/HIV activities.
- Submit annual activity monitoring reports to relevant Heads of the Departments.
The Ministry of Health (MoH)
- Act as the main partner of the MoE in all SHN/HIV activities.
- Agree on a Memorandum of Understanding with the MoE.
- Give technical support to the MoE in relation to for SHN/HIV.
- Function as implementing agency for some SHN/HIV activities
- Assist with SHN/HIV strategic plan and activities implementation.
- Contribute funding and technical support.
(NGOs, CBOs and FBOs)
- Help develop SHN/HIV Strategic Plan and implement activities.
- Implement activities supportive of strategic plan, policies, and guidelines.
- Follow procedures for SHN/HIV activities of NGOs, CBOs and FBOs in schools.
Members of the Educational Institutions
A. Ministry staff:
- ensure policy provisions are applied at the work place.
B. Boards of Educational Institutions:
- provide oversight of implementation.
- Advise the Board of policy implications.
- Develop institutional SHN/HIV Plan and Strategies.
- Ensure that the Policy is reflected in School Improvement Plans.
- Agree on appointment of an SHN/HIV Focal Point or Committee.
- Ensure safe and sanitary work and study environments.
- Integrate strategies and mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide data to regional and national SHN/HIV coordinators.
- Adhere to the Policy and support its implementation.
E. Representatives of employees' and student organizations:
- Encourage the implementation of the SHN/HIV Policy and programme.
F. Parent-Teacher Associations:
- Work with education institutions, school boards and the wider community
- Mobilise materials, funding, and technical support from stakeholders.